Tourism & Territory

   Adriatic Coast

  

Grottammare

Located north of the mouth of the river Tesino , the town stretches along the coast to the foothills of the nearby hills where stands the medieval village . The intense urban development, now underway, is to extend the town center towards the mouth of Tesino and along its course to the inside. To the south of the mouth of Tesino is the populous village Ischia, became over the years a part of the city ' that forms a single conurbation with neighboring San Benedetto del Tronto. And ' crossed by the parallel of the 43 boreale.Grottammare has ancient origins. There are traces of man-made dating back to Neolithic times. On its territory 'was discovered a necropolis dating back to the Piceno VII -V century BC Possession in the Middle Ages, the Abbey of Farfa, was given in 1214 in Fermo Aldobrandino d'Este. Between the thirteenth and sixteenth centuries was long disputed between Fermo and Ascoli . The current system of fortified walls dating back to the sixteenth century , characterized by violent disputes with communities ' near and pirate attacks . From the eighteenth century began ' expansion into the coastal area , where the urban plan , designed by architect Peter Augustoni of Lombard origin , it must be the intervention of Pope Pius VI ( 1779)
 

 

History and Monuments

Palazzo del Podesta'
- Ripatransone (AP)
The majestic Palazzo del Podesta ' was completed in 1307. Has a large portico with seven arches : the central one more' large ' pointed arch , the other round-headed . The porch, raised above the plane of the original installation , and ' surmounted by a row of mullioned windows with central trefoil lancet , and more' up the windows of the top floor added at a later date . The set and ' completed by the civic tower and two wings nineteenth century , harmonized characters in front of the venerable gravestones bearing and busts carved in memory of Louis Mercantini .


Forte Malatesta
- Ascoli Piceno
Costruzione fortificata edificata nei pressi del ponte di Cecco, passo obbligato per chi accedeva nella citta' dalla zona est. Sorge vicino alle sponde del torrente Castellano, l'attuale fortezza e' stata ricostruita sui resti di una precedente rocca per volere del Signore di Rimini Galeotto Malatesta verso la meta' del 1300.  Il Forte Malatesta ad Ascoli Piceno, una delle architetture fortificate rinascimentali piu' importanti e spettacolari in Italia e uno dei siti monumentali piu' affascinanti della raffinata citta' marchigiana, chiuso dal 1978, torna alla citta'.  Un recupero che va nella direzione di una sempre maggiore valorizzazione del patrimonio storico artistico cittadino, accreditando l'immagine di Ascoli Piceno quale centro di grandi tradizioni culturali, di richiamo per il turismo internazionale e sede di grandi mostre inserita a pieno titolo nel circuito dei grandi eventi.

Fortezza Pia
- Colle dell'Annunziata - Ascoli Piceno
Fortified building erected near the bridge of Cecco , necessary step for those accessed in the city ' from the east . It is located near the banks of the river Castellano , the current fortress 'was rebuilt on the ruins of an earlier fortress at the behest of the Lord Malatesta of Rimini Jailbird toward the goal ' of 1300. Forte Malatesta in Ascoli Piceno, one of the most fortified buildings renaissance ' important and spectacular in Italy and one of the monumental sites ' most charming cities of the refined ' Marche , closed since 1978 , returns to the city'. A recovery that goes in the direction of an ever greater appreciation of historical and artistic heritage of the city, crediting the image of Ascoli Piceno as a center of great cultural traditions , calling for international tourism and a venue for major exhibitions inserted fully into the circuit of the great events .

Fortezza degli Acquaviva
- Acquaviva Picena (AP)
Of ancient origin, it was rebuilt from scratch by Pope Pius IV (1564) with the control function of the urban population rather than defense from external enemies. The complex looks impressive sight, though not perfectly preserved, especially within ruined by the French May 2, 1799.
From the fortress you return to the Mazzoni street, which runs in a southerly direction. At the bottom, turn right to the long castle Sixtus V you can 'go down to the former papal paper mill, the elegant Renaissance building, reduced to its present form by Alberto da Piacenza in 1512 at the behest of Pope Julius II. It was an important center for the production of paper still active in the early '900. After the recent interventions that have restored the ancient luster, the complex has assumed the function of tourist and cultural center of the province
Of ancient origin, it was rebuilt from scratch by Pope Pius IV (1564) with the control function of the urban population rather than defense from external enemies. The complex looks impressive sight, though not perfectly preserved, especially within ruined by the French May 2, 1799.
From the fortress you return to the Mazzoni street, which runs in a southerly direction. At the bottom, turn right to the long castle Sixtus V you can 'go down to the former papal paper mill, the elegant Renaissance building, reduced to its present form by Alberto da Piacenza in 1512 at the behest of Pope Julius II. It was an important center for the production of paper still active in the early '900. After the recent interventions that have restored the ancient luster, the complex has assumed the function of tourist and cultural center of the province



La Rocca
- Arquata del Tronto (AP)
The Castle of the Rock stands on a rocky outcrop situated a little more ' north of the town. The characteristic of Arquata . to be historically " border area " means that around sec . XI- XII gave start to the fortification of the hill and then the construction of the castle. The set of building structures that form the fortress , has suffered over the years a number of changes and functional enhancements ; and in any case ' can assume that the first element was built on the hill , was the tower of hexagonal and about 12 m high . located to the south- east . Connected to the hexagonal tower had to be city walls (in part still exists ), which developed north for about 70 m. closed the only side "discovered" the hill , the path that connected the tower to the village was located - and how the ' now - on the eastern side of the headland. This first defensive structure , was built in a position of dominance over the valley below , with respect to which presented itself as the emerging element of considerable importance.

   San Benedetto del Tronto
 

 

   Hight Grottammare

Ascoli Piceno

 

Tourist Map